Eastern Municipal Water District
Variance and Leak Adjustments
EMWD allows for adjustments due to variances and leaks, as discussed further in EMWD’s Library: Variances and Bill Adjustments »
Variance Leak Adjustments
All variance requests, once approved, are implemented with the next billing cycle. Adjustments are made to individual customer’s water bill based on the following criteria.
- If the updated landscape square footage is greater than 50% of the current square footage on file:
- A one month courtesy adjustment of billing units in Tier 3 and/or Tier 4. Units are re-charged back to Tier 2 (outdoor tier) based on the date of the variance.
If the adjustment isn’t completed in a timely manner and the customer is billed again since submitting a variance, a two-month adjustment is approved.
- If the adjustment isn’t completed in a timely manner and the customer is billed again since submitting a variance, a two-month adjustment is approved.
- On a case by case basis, adjustments may be for more than one month, but not for more than the current fiscal year.
- If the customer requests further adjustments, the customer will need to appeal by submitting a written letter to the Variance Committee.
- EMWD uses a water budget calculator spreadsheet to calculate the amount of the adjustment based on the ETo (from weather data), the number of days in the billing cycle, and the updated landscape square footage.
- Pool Fill Variance: One time every 5 years
- AllbillingunitsinexcessofTier3andTier4(uptothenumberofgallonsinthepool) are adjusted back to the Tier 2 rate for the month that the pool was filled. This adjustment does not qualify under certain stages of the Water Shortage Contingency Plan.
Other variance requests have no adjustments made to the water bill, but are effective with the next billing statement:
- Establishment water for newly planted landscape (6 months and 25% additional water – this credit does not apply during certain stages of the Water Shortage Contingency Plan)
- Number of people in the household (also for temporary household changes) o Additionalwaterformedicalreasons
- There may be other instances where an increased allocation on a permanent or temporary basis may be appropriate, such as:
- Swamp cooler (3 gallons per hour for 24 hours a day from April 15 to October 15)
- Water softener (30 gallons per day)
Customer Service Adjustments
- Concealed leak: In the case of a concealed leak and in the month that repairs were made, EMWD will calculate and provide a credit of 50% of the amount that exceeds the average bill for water service during the preceding twelve months. The adjustment would be made by adjusting some or all of Tier 3 and Tier 4 usage and re-charging at the Tier 2 rate (see the leak adjustment request form). For the adjustment to be made, the following criteria must be met:
- The cause of the leak was of such a nature and at such a location to not have been discovered with the customer’s reasonable diligence
- A certification, receipt, or supporting documentation is furnished showing the leak was repaired
- No such adjustment has been made in the preceding 12 months.
- Appeals process: All due diligence shall be taken to resolve any issue within a reasonable amount of time. However, it is the right of any customer to bring any matter before the Board for resolution after the administrative process has been exhausted.